Las Vegas may seem like an adults only destination, but I recently took my daughter (a very recent 12 year old) to explore the PG side of sin city! I was pleased with the selection of family friendly options that the city has to offer! Here are my top 5 tips for traveling to Vegas with your tween!
- Pick a hotel that is centrally located and is close to attractions! The strip, in my opinion, is a better choice than Fremont Street. Fremont Street is great for adults but there can be a lot of “unique” characters that you probably don’t want mingling with you child. So stick to a resort on the strip! We used Uber and the free tram to move around from resort to resort while exploring and this worked great for us! If you are uncomfortable with Uber there is a seemingly endless line of taxis at each hotel waiting to take you to where you need to go.
*** Tip: remind your tween not to accept any business cards or flyers that people may be trying to hand them on the streets. Sometimes it is just a coupon for Lyft but most of the time it is something a little more risqué.
- Choose a few shows that appeal to you. We went to see “O” by Cirque du Soleil and loved the amazing tricks and stunts throughout the performance. ALMOST every Cirque du Soleil show is family friendly so pick one that seems interesting and book your tickets in advance. Be sure to read the fine print (or consult your Travel Agent) to ensure that your selection is indeed family friendly. We also went to see The Blue Man Group. This is an amazing show that is sure to please any tween. It is fun, interactive and high energy! Your tween is sure to be talking about the show well after your vacation!
*** Tip: go to the early show (usually around 7pm). The strip gets a little wild after 9pm so seeing the early show will insure that your well on your way back to your resort before it gets too crazy!
- Ride the Big Apple coaster at New York-New York. This is a legit roller coaster! It starts inside the hotel and winds its way around the outside of the resort providing sky high views of the Statue of Liberty and the Chrysler building! This is sure to please your little thrill seeker!
- Looking for a sweet treat? Make your way to The Bellagio Resort to treat yourself to a cup of gelato or a fruit tart from Jean Philippe Patisserie! Indulge in one of their made from scratch treats and be sure to check out there floor-to-ceiling Chocolate fountain that was in the Guinness Book of World Records!
- Skip the fine dining. Las Vegas is home to a myriad of world-class restaurants…most of which will please your palette and bore your tween! Grab a slice of Brooklyn style pizza from the streets of New York (New York- New York), a fried lobster on stick (Miracle Mile Shops at Planet Hollywood), or a root beer float from the Coca Cola Store next to the MGM Grand! There is an endless list of fun food experiences that are unique and delicious that your pallet (and your tween) will never get bored!
My main tip for visiting Las Vegas with your “tweenager” is to have fun too! Let loose and be a kid yourself! Ride that rollercoaster and skip the calorie count for a few days and enjoy your time with your young adult while you can!